S&W Free Float Handguard Conversion Details
- Handguard Converter Nut (Required) – This adapter takes the place of your factory S&W M&P15-22 barrel nut, and has the threads for your new handguard. Any free float handguard that screws onto an AR-15 pattern rifle will screw onto the S&W M&P15-22 handguard converter nut. Comes in two versions, Standard and Modified. Learn which one to choose.
- Professional Barrel Nut Wrench (Highly Recommended) – Used to quickly and easily remove the factory S&W M&P15-22 barrel nut.
- Multi-Purpose Barrel Vise Jaws (Highly Recommended) – Avoid marring your barrel. These barrel vise jaws hold the S&W M&P15-22 barrel securely when performing the conversion. Works on other firearms as well.WARNING: DO NOT under any circumstance clamp the upper when tightening or loosening the barrel nut; otherwise you risk damaging the upper.
- Gas Block – Fake, non-functioning “gas block” made only to keep the S&W M&P15-22 handguard in place.
S&W Free Float Handguard Conversion Features
- Handguard Converter Nut has the same 1.25-18 outside thread as most AR-15 uppers.
- Handguard Converter Nut is black hard-coat anodized to a Type III MIL-SPEC specification.
- Simple, step-by-step instructions are included.
- Designed, developed, and manufactured in the USA.
- Lifetime guarantee. If something fails, we’ll replace it for free.
For complete instructions, see How to convert the S&W M&P15-22 to an M4 carbine style rifle.
Standard vs Modified Converter Nut
The “standard” handguard converter nut requires that you do nothing to alter your rifle, which leaves a 1/4″ gap between the back of the delta ring and the front of the Picatinny rail.
The “modified” handguard converter nut requires the following permanent modifications of your upper to close the gap between the back of the barrel nut and the front of the Picatinny rail, bringing the gap down from 1/4 inch to 3/32 inch.
- Full removal of bottom indexing tab
- Partial or full removal of the top indexing tab